cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From ilya musayev <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Help] Help for setting up Vmware Cluster in CloudStack...
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2014 19:57:33 GMT
Ritu,

That tutorial is a bit old.

Let me try to answer them, i do have an alternative solution, perhaps we
can get on the phone and do a webex session or something similar - this
week is bad for me, i'm traveling, but next week, Thursday and beyond -
my schedule is flexible. I assume you are on PST timezone somewhere in
bay area.

Please see response inline to your inquiries.

On 7/8/14, 6:29 PM, Ritu Sabharwal wrote:

> Hi Ilya,
>
> I am trying to add VMWare DC for the first time in CloudStack
> management server and need help in doing so. I am trying to test the
> Brocade Network Plugin functionality. The Jira id is :
>
> I am following the Tutorial:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Advanced+Network+Tutorial+-+Step+by+Step
>
> My Network setup:
>
> 1.2 ESXi hosts 4.1.0 hosts.
>
> 2.vCenter 5.0
>
> Network layout:
>
> vSwitch0: For Management Network
>
> vSwitch0: for Guest Network
>
> vSwitch0 is assigned 1 Physical Nic. This Nic is connected to Brocade
> VDX switch.
>
> My test includes:
>
>   * Create an isolated network; verify that the port-profile is
>     created on the Brocade switch.
>   * Attach a VM to the network; verify that the VMs MAC address is
>     associated with the port profile of the network on the Brocade switch.
>   * Add VMs to the same guest network but on different hosts and
>     verify connectivity.
>   * Check the availability of the switch by using the CloudStack API:
>     http://<managerment-server>:8096/client/api?command=listHosts&type=L2Networking.
>     This should list the switch with its availability status.
>   * Delete VMs for an isolated network; verify that the VMs MAC
>     address is disassociated with the port profile of the network on
>     the Brocade switch.
>   * Delete the isolated network; verify that the port-profile is
>     deleted from the Brocade switch.
>
> I have few questions:
>
> 1.Where do I download the system vm template for vmware. I am using
> master CS codebase, I don't have the script
> /usr/lib64/cloud/common/scripts/storage/secondary/cloud-install-sys-tmplt

The path is incorrect, this use to apply to CloudStack 4.0 or 4.1, but
anything post 4.2 has cloudstack in its path.
Here is the snippet of my install script:

/usr/share/cloudstack-common/scripts/storage/secondary/cloud-install-sys-tmplt
-m /mnt/nfs/secondary -u
http://my-webserver/systemvm64template-latest-master-vmware.ova -h vmware -F

Note that /mnt/nfs/secondary - is nfs mount - either local or remote
That mount must be accessible by hypervisors. Cloudstack needs to access
hypervisors and vcenter on port 443.

> 2.Since I am testing L2 connectivity b/w VMs using Brocade switches by
> configuring the VLANs( by creating port-profiles) for the network on
> the switches, do I need to assign a IP range for Public network and
> storage network?

Depends on your setup. Storage network is used when you have a separate
segregated NFS or alike storage network. In that case, that storage
network must be trunked  to you hypervisors.
If you are deploying for POC and you dont have a specific storage
network, dont add storage network traffic label.
Public network - also depends on your setup, if you are doing Advanced
Zone with VPC (amazon like cloud), you will need a larger IP pool as you
want to assign public IPs to your guest VMs. However, if you are
deploying Advanced Shared  Zone without VPC, where you are using your
physical network and routers/firewalls, then all you need is 2 public
ips per zone - which arent really public in the internet sense.

> 3.In the tutorial, there are 2 portgroups for VMs on Managemnt Network
> and Development Network? What are these 2 types of VMs?

Cloudstack deploys System VMs in following fashion.
Per zone, you have:

Advanced Shared Zone (non VPC)
- Storage VM - doing storage things
    uses 1 public ip and 1 management ip (private communication link)

- Console Proxy VM - proxies VNC console session from hypervisor to end user
    uses 1 public ip and 1 management ip (private communication link)

- RouterVM - 1 per VLAN
    uses 1 management ip (private communication link)

Advanced Shared Zone (VPC - dont use this type of env so i'm not certain
- but from what i'm told)
- Storage VM - doing storage things
    uses 1 public ip and 1 management ip (private communication link)

- Console Proxy VM - proxies VNC console session from hypervisor to end user
    uses 1 public ip and 1 management ip (private communication link)

- RouterVM - 1 per VLAN per Account
    uses 1 management ip (private communication link)

> 4.For primary storage, do I give the datastore attached to the
> hypervisor hosts?

It depends yet again :) If you have VMFS datastores, then yes you have
to specify existing VMFS store already defined in vCenter.
If you are doing NFS, then cloudstack will create it on your behalf.

Regards
ilya