cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: vhd-util location
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2014 10:25:17 GMT
Hi Carlos,

Carlos Reátegui wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When does stuff get copied from [1] to [2] ?
>
> I ask because the docs (http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/latest/installation.html)
say to download vhd-util and place it in [1] however the script that pushes it to the hosts
looks for it in [2].

> In my case I don’t recall at when I placed it in [1], if it was in the order described
in the install docs or if it was after I realized it had not been deployed to my hosts and
did it manually.

> Is this a bug?
>
> [1] /usr/share/cloudstack-common/scripts/vm/hypervisor/xenserver
> [2] /usr/share/cloudstack-management/webapps/client/WEB-INF/classes/scripts/vm/hypervisor/xenserver

The vhd-util gets copied to [2] during build phase (where maven compiles
a war package). When building the source, I usually download the
vhd-util and place it under ./scripts/vm/hypervisor/xenserver/vhd-util
so that it ends up in systemvm.iso and other archives. If you're
building from source, I recommend that you download and put vhd-util to
this path to avoid these issues.

When CloudStack adds a Xen(Server/Project) host it copies these files
and tries to /opt/cloud/bin from [2]'s path. But when executing commands
I think it looks at both /opt/cloud/bin and /opt/xensource/bin/ for
vhd-util.

I think it could be path issue for you, which distribution are you using
(Debian or Fedora/Centos/RPM based)? I think we could have the code
fixed that uses vhd-util (for converting raw/images to vhd) to check if
it's not available then download and set it up.

The linux distro specific builds create the cloudstack-common which does
not have this binary due to licensing issues. AFAIK, we need to download
and copy/chmod +x the file as the INSTALL.md and the document you shared
says.

I think in future, with work on xapi and XenServer plugin, we may not
need vhd-util (Tim and other Xen folks can comment?).

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue
M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com