cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: How to speed up testing using BVT/smoke tests with Simulator
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2014 23:15:03 GMT
Hi Edison,

Thanks for the pointers! I’ll try them out and see if there is way to do it on Travis/CloudBees
as well and I hope other people will religiously start using simulator/bvt (at least the basic
ones) for their check-ins.

Regards.

On 01-Aug-2014, at 12:15 am, Edison Su <Edison.su@citrix.com> wrote:

> [...]
Imaging, build & test on a 16 Cores, 120G machine, it should be awesome, and most importantly,
it's FREE. You can get a free MSDN subscription fromhttps://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/donated-licenses/msdn-subscription.html,
after that, you will get $150 credit monthly in Azure. For build &test only, $150 is good
enough.

>> This is how I build CloudStack for validating with simulator:
>>    mvn -Pdeveloper -Dsimulator clean install
>>    mvn -Pdeveloper -pl developer -Ddeploydb
>>    mvn -Pdeveloper -pl developer -Ddeploydb-simulator
>>    mvn -pl client jetty:run -Dsimulator
>>
>> And finally run smoke tests (BVT):
>> nosetests --with-marvin --marvin-config=setup/dev/advanced.cfg --with-
>> xunit --xunit-file=/tmp/bvt_selfservice_cases.xml -a
>> tags=advanced,required_hardware=false -w test/integration/smoke --
>> hypervisor=simulator
>>
>> It currently took 50 mins on my setup. How can we speed it up, say by
>> reducing global variable timeout settings etc? Should we reduce timeouts etc.
>> in deploydb-simulator specific sql files?
>
> There several places we can improve the marvin test:
> 1. queryAsyncJob waits 5 second for each call, can change to 1s.
> 2. There are hardcoded sleep in test code, such base.py, search time.sleep
> 3. global configuration: account.cleanup.interval sets to 600s, so the test suite will
stop for 10 minutes after running for a while.
> 3. most importantly, if we can run the test cases in parallel, then speedup should be
great. Does anybody try to run it in parallel before?