cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rajani Karuturi <Rajani.Karut...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [Summary] checkin process
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:55:43 GMT
ahh… we have the same content twice on the wiki. I deleted the duplicate and edited it as
per the comment from daan.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Git#Git-ProposedGitflowbasedCheck-inProcess

+1 for starting a vote thread

~Rajani

On 31-Jul-2014, at 3:04 pm, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<mailto:rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com>>
wrote:

Hi,

Please use this section on the wiki to propose/fix/modify the new proposed check-in process:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Git#Git-ProposedGitflowbasedCheck-inProcess

My feedback:

- I don’t want to enforce/adopt the gitflow model "as-is", like not rename master branch

- the aim IMO is to make master stable for people to work with, so we don’t break it often
- we do feature/bug-fix/any-work in our own branch and merge/cherry-pick/what-have-you when
it has tests and it is stable (lazy definition as per committer’s discretion)

- the git commit cherry-picking/merging should be from firm/stable branches to unstable i.e.
from release branches (such as 4.x) to master or developer’s own branch; the reverse is
done only when the work/commits/check-ins are tested/firm/stable

We’ve so many threads with so many emails that we’re sort of causing split-brain issue
for ourselves on this issue.

I’m not sure which one to follow now -- the length of a discussion thread is inversely proportional
to the interest of community members on the thread.

Let’s start a new vote thread and drop discussion on other threads?