cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Santhosh Edukulla <santhosh.eduku...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Patch Management
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 06:33:02 GMT
Iam not sure, its stretching a limit, but i have seen many patches missing in master or only
applied to one branch.

One RCA for many failures or issues reported during initial days of every new branch is that
it has these fixes are missing. I believe if we can enforce a patch submitter to provide working
patch for atleast master and concerned branch, we should not put closure to bug, review and
patch submission i believe. Or have review board submissions considered "only" containing
patches for both master and individual branch.

Santhosh
From: Daan Hoogland [daan.hoogland@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2014 5:06 AM
To: dev
Subject: Re: Patch Management

plus one; the review board does not easily facilitate multiple patches
so I would use the 'depend on' feature to point to the other
branch-patches

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Santhosh Edukulla
<santhosh.edukulla@citrix.com> wrote:
> Team,
>
> Currently, it seems we have few patches missing in master but available in current running
branch, could be attributed for various reasons.

> Its hard to track some times that all changes made to make issue fixes work, are all
available in master at any given time. I believe we can have an entry gate, that if the patch
does not apply cleanly on either of the branch(  and if it is supposed for both ), then its
better we don't push it to both the branches, until the clean patch for both master and running
branch are submitted again.

> This way, review will not be closed to submission. Otherwise, from bug fixes perspective,
fixes should go hand in hand to both master and running branch i believe. Tracking manually
through review\git log for missing patches may be little tedious and error prone again.

--
Daan