cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Erik Weber <terbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release 4.4
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2014 16:43:31 GMT
On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Hugo Trippaers <hugo@apache.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I’m getting somewhat concerned about the 4.4 release. We don’t seems to be
> able to get the 4.4 branch in shape for a release candidate and meanwhile
> master is diverging further and further. We also know that once we hit the
> RC phase we will probably need a sizable number of iterations to eventually
> ship the release. Based on past experience, if we keep up like this we will
> have another release that will actually be released way after the feature
> freeze for the next release (July 18). Probably leaving us in the same bad
> spot for the next release.
>
> I tried to come up with a number of solutions that could rectify the
> situation and help the release move forward, but i can’t think of any. Save
> for some options that might be considered extreme ideas. One the the more
> prominent ideas in my mind at the moment is skipping the 4.4 release all
> together and combine it with the next planned release (whether its 5.0 or
> 4.5). This would require a community effort to focus on quality in the next
> month and basically freeze the master for features and have a community
> wide push for quality to get the next release out on schedule.
>
>

What happens if that release doesn't make its desired time frame? Skip that
too and wait for 4.6 / 5.1 / 6.0?
If any drastic choices were to be made, I'd prefer that the next release
(4.5 / 5.0) either gets postponed, or skipped.
A major version bump with API changes could possibly warrant such drastic
change in my opinion.



> But before i go on and shout out even more drastic ideas, what do you
> think about the current 4.4 release. How close do you feel that we are to
> having a releasable product?
>
>
As a non developer I can only comment based on what I experience on the
mailing list, but this seems to be a repeating problem..
And something should probably be done to prevent this from being a / the
problem every release.


-- 
Erik Weber

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message