cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Punith S <punit...@cloudbyte.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Increasing VM IOPS by separating golden image in high IOPS partition in Xen Server ?
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 05:36:11 GMT
hi hieu,

your problem is the bottle neck we see as a storage vendors in the cloud,
meaning all the vms in the cloud have not been guaranteed iops from the
primary storage, because in your case i'm assuming you are running 1000vms
on a xen cluster whose all vm's disks are lying on a same primary nfs
storage mounted to the cluster,
hence you won't get the dedicated iops for each vm since every vm is
sharing the same storage. to solve this issue in cloudstack we the third
party vendors have implemented the plugin(namely cloudbyte , solidfire etc)
to support managed storage(dedicated volumes with guaranteed qos for each
vms) , where we are mapping each root disk(vdi) or data disk of a vm with
one nfs or iscsi share coming out of a pool, also we are proposing the new
feature to change volume iops on fly in 4.5, where you can increase or
decrease your root disk iops while booting or at peak times. but to use
this plugin you have to buy our storage solution.

if not , you can try creating a nfs share out of ssd pool storage and
create a primary storage in cloudstack out of it named as golden primary
storage with specific tag like gold, and create a compute offering for your
template with the storage tag as gold, hence all the vm's you create will
sit on this gold primary storage with high iops. and other data disks on
other primary storage but still here you cannot guarantee the qos at vm
level.

thanks

--
regards,