cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GIT] 4.3.0 vs 4.3.0-forward - where to commit?
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 10:15:45 GMT
well,

we are putting your favorite release manager(s) in a world of hurt,
yes. At the moment I watch the branch closely and review every
cherry-pick request. I can not be responsible for every line in some
big commits but I do watch for features creeping in, Also you will
find that only my name (and one time or so Hugo's) is on the commits
in this branch. I don't think we are in need for readonly features of
git at the moment. so far our bureaucracy works.

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Alex Hitchins <alex@alexhitchins.com> wrote:
> During code freeze, couldn't the branch be read-only with only the release manager able
to make commits?

> Would we be opening ourselves up to a world of pain by trusting people to observe code
freeze and not commit new features, just bug fixes?

> Alex Hitchins | 07788 423 969 | 01892 523 587

to keep track off your changes during code freeze and rebase that on the release branch. After
release the release branch is once again open territory and you can commit to it. I am not
sure this way of working is completely formalized but It has been adopted by the community
since 4.1(.1?). The releasing the -forward branch hasn't been as adopted as the rest of the
process, unfortunately. With 4.4-forward we are going to have the following issue at least:
the tests created during code freeze are not being cherry-picked. I am not sure that is the
extend of the problem but it is a part. I have been quite strict in only cherry-picking that
what was requested on list (with only my own one or two fixes that I should formally have
done the same way but did bother to do so).
> Animesh announced that he would clean up 4.3-forward and remove it. I will make sure
of 4.4-forward after releasing. I am not sure how Animesh intended to do it. I intend to give
a warning mail that I will remove it and a week later make good on my thread. In that week
any commits in there can be saved/cherry-picked to 4.4 or a 'private'
> branch.
>
> any thoughts, problems, amendments?
> Daan
>
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM, sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 5, 2014, at 8:14 AM, ilya musayev <ilya.mailing.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like few patches that i've backported to 4.3.0-forward have been dropped
(dont see my commits). i am now under impression i should have commited to 4.3.0 branch.

>>> Would someone please clarify the difference between the two and where to commit
when i need to backport/cherry-pick a patch?

--
Daan