cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Hugo Trippaers <h...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Release 4.4
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:30:34 GMT
Hey all,

I’m getting somewhat concerned about the 4.4 release. We don’t seems to be able to get
the 4.4 branch in shape for a release candidate and meanwhile master is diverging further
and further. We also know that once we hit the RC phase we will probably need a sizable number
of iterations to eventually ship the release. Based on past experience, if we keep up like
this we will have another release that will actually be released way after the feature freeze
for the next release (July 18). Probably leaving us in the same bad spot for the next release.

I tried to come up with a number of solutions that could rectify the situation and help the
release move forward, but i can’t think of any. Save for some options that might be considered
extreme ideas. One the the more prominent ideas in my mind at the moment is skipping the 4.4
release all together and combine it with the next planned release (whether its 5.0 or 4.5).
This would require a community effort to focus on quality in the next month and basically
freeze the master for features and have a community wide push for quality to get the next
release out on schedule.

But before i go on and shout out even more drastic ideas, what do you think about the current
4.4 release. How close do you feel that we are to having a releasable product?

Cheers,

Hugo