cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Burwell <jburw...@basho.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release 4.4
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2014 02:33:51 GMT
Hugo,

I would be -1 on the idea of combining 4.4 and 4.5.  If we can’t get the change set for
4.4 stabilized then what makes us think we would be successful expanding it?  We would be
deferring the 4.4 risks to the 4.5 release and increasing its overall scope.  For 4.2, we
push out the freeze date to accommodate the slippage of 4.1.  I propose that we do the same
for the 4.5 freeze date to relieve some schedule pressure and acknowledge the inevitable slippage
in 4.5 schedule caused by 4.4.

Thanks,
-John

On Jun 11, 2014, at 11:30 AM, Hugo Trippaers <hugo@apache.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I’m getting somewhat concerned about the 4.4 release. We don’t seems to be able to
get the 4.4 branch in shape for a release candidate and meanwhile master is diverging further
and further. We also know that once we hit the RC phase we will probably need a sizable number
of iterations to eventually ship the release. Based on past experience, if we keep up like
this we will have another release that will actually be released way after the feature freeze
for the next release (July 18). Probably leaving us in the same bad spot for the next release.

> I tried to come up with a number of solutions that could rectify the situation and help
the release move forward, but i can’t think of any. Save for some options that might be
considered extreme ideas. One the the more prominent ideas in my mind at the moment is skipping
the 4.4 release all together and combine it with the next planned release (whether its 5.0
or 4.5). This would require a community effort to focus on quality in the next month and basically
freeze the master for features and have a community wide push for quality to get the next
release out on schedule.

> But before i go on and shout out even more drastic ideas, what do you think about the
current 4.4 release. How close do you feel that we are to having a releasable product?