cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Hugo Trippaers <h...@trippaers.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Introducing Gerrit for quality? was: [PROPOSAL] Using continuous integration to maintain our code quality...
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2014 06:22:35 GMT
Hey,

I’m all for automated solutions. I’m a happy gerrit user on some other projects and quite
fond of working with Github pull requests as well. However there is one important point that
makes working with those tools work and that is a willingness by the committers to review
requests. Both systems rely on either a well functioning and fast CI system or committers
that consistently and rapidly review requests. Where the latter is actually the most important
one.

Both gerrit and pull requests do not improve quality. They are just tools to facilitate a
certain way of working. If we want to improve quality we have to do it ourselves, no amount
of automated tooling is going to solve it for us. As committers it is our job to review commits
and make sure that quality is maintained. It is also our job to make sure that automated tests
exist that will catch problems.

At the moment we have a 433,412 line codebase with on average 3.91 potential defects per line
of code (according to coverity). We have a very small amount of unit test coverage on our
core code and no real idea how much or what code is covered by functional testing. If we want
to improve quality i think that is the place to start.

Of course it is also wise to see if we can improve the quality of the incoming commits, but
that is easily done by taking a few moments during the day to review everything that was pushed
to master and fix, revert and add unit tests where required. Coach committers/contributors
that consistently have trouble with adding testing cases on how to do it. That part is the
responsibility of being a committer, not just the bit that allows access to the repo.

If we are able to get this bit going, i’ll happily jump on any barricade and start a revolution
to get whatever automated tooling we need to support this process.

Cheers,

Hugo