cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From ilya musayev <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Global Settings - Inheritance Rules
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2014 21:37:13 GMT
Not certain if this mechanism exists, if it does, please let me know.

Some settings in ACS that are defined as global setting - can be used on
much lower level, for example
vm.full.clone - can be used on global, zone, pod, cluster and possibly
even VM itself.
systemvm.use.local.disk - should be a global and zone
vm.instancename.flag - can be used on zone level, pod and cluster (or
even VM)

Instead of porting one call at a time based on customer request, would
it be possible to define Global Setting inheritance rule set. For
example if inheritance rule is set to global, it can be overriden on
zone leve, and even cluster or host. We would need a settings
inheritance tab - that shows what configs have been inherited from
upstream and ability to override the config on lower level.

I'd propose for inheritance to go from Global Setting, Zone, Pod,
Cluster, Host and VM. Needless to say, not all Global Settings can be in
each category.

Any thoughts on this?