cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From ilya musayev <ilya.mailing.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: KVM + LXC on the same host
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 20:20:13 GMT
Tuna

Thanks for the feedback, conceptually, i was not trying to address the
issue of sysvms not running on LXC.

Here is the use case as i see it.

Assume you roll out a farm of  10 KVM servers and your density with KVM
is 200 virtual machines. Most of these VMs dont require independent
kernel and additional layers of virtualization abstraction. As the
result, you can place 400 LXC machines and 20 fully virtualized Linux or
even Windows Servers. If you do chargeback, you can offer the LXC
machines for much lower price point since we can place more LXC containers.

Your density becomes much greater with LXC and yet you still cover the
corner case when end-user needs KVM instance.

Pierre-Luc

If I will get to try this scenario - i may have to alter the KVM/LXC
agent somewhat to make it work with CloudStack, i will let you know.
Alternative solution would be to run separate LXC and KVM clusters,
which is also a possibility - but usage and distribution will be uneven.

Regards
ilya

The concept of combining both technologies under one hypervisor