cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: License to be signed for contributing to CloudStack
Date Fri, 30 May 2014 19:42:07 GMT

On May 30, 2014, at 1:55 PM, Ritu Sabharwal <rsabharw@Brocade.com> wrote:

> Hi ilya, David,
>
> Thanks for the information!
>
> I am working with Brocade Communications Systems and we are implementing a network plugin
for their VDX integration for L2 services.  We are targeting for 4.5 release.

> Some follow up questions:
>
> 1. Since I am not an Apache committer, I need not sign an Individual Contributor License
Agreement?

Correct. You only sign an ICLA when you get invited to become a committer.

> 2. For IP Clearance form for the plugin code, when do we send an email for the IP clearance
and vote? Is it after the code review at the time of code merge to master branch?

I don't know what's the state of the plugin right now. But if it's developed from scratch,
just start submitting patches to cloudstack via review board. The sooner you do this, the
less likely you will face IP clearance issues. These issues tend to arise when code has been
developed behind closed doors and with many authors. You raising this issue on the list is
already a good start. I would recommend you submit patches (even though incomplete) yesterday
:). We can create a brocade plugin branch for you, then you and other colleagues working on
this should submit incremental patches. As we review the patches, we gain trust in you and
your code, and most likely there will be no need for IP clearance. Something important to
keep in mind is authorship. Do not submit code (via review board) that you have not written.

Trying to avoid IP clearance is good -because it's a headache-.

> Thanks & Regards,
> Ritu S.

outside of the project; you probably need to go through IP Clearance. That typically involves
a Software Grant Agreement or Contributor License Agreement.

> If you or your company are donating code that was developed inside the project, you probably
don't need to sign anything unless it's a very large contribution.