cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Amin Samir" <a...@opencloud.net.au>
Subject RE: Interesting 4.2.1. Issue...
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 01:26:31 GMT
Believe or not!! We have tried setting them in both formats and still the catalina log produces
java heap space error

Kind Regards
Amin

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Phillips [mailto:mphilli7823@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 3 April 2014 9:24 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: RE: Interesting 4.2.1. Issue...

This may be a silly question, but in all of the docs I am reading online in regards to increasing
the java heap size, they are specifying it as -Xmx"size""MB" example -Xmx2048m vs -Xmx2g Is
it possible that it's not reading the 2g variable as 2GB?

> Subject: RE: Interesting 4.2.1. Issue...
> From: amin@opencloud.net.au
> To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 09:06:17 +0800
>
> It is 6.0.35 and it still produces this error, even after increasing the Xmx to 4g, we
have installed tomcat 6.0.33 and each time we install the cloudstack it does not sense the
installed 6.0.33 and attempts to install 6.0.35 as it is dependent on it. Silly solution is
that we scheduled a daily restart @ 2PM through a cron job!!!! But first you have to "killall
jvsc" then restart the management server.

> What we are considering is to migrate the management server to CentOS 6.5 it comes with
tomcat 6.0.24 and mysql 5.1, we attempted to restore the dump on a pilot environment and it
worked.

> If someone else has a better solution than this would you please share it?
>
> Kind Regards
> Amin

that comes with Ubuntu 12.04 out of the box. Our memory settings are as follows:
> JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=45219 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Xmx4g -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/log/cloudstack/management/
-XX:PermSize=512M -XX:MaxPermSize=800m"
> So what version of tomcat are you running 6.0.35 or 6.0.33?
>
> > Subject: RE: Interesting 4.2.1. Issue...
> > From: amin@opencloud.net.au
> > To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
> > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 11:23:57 +0800
> >
> > We have the same issue, after an upgrade from 2.2.14 to 4.2.1, and
> > during this upgrade we had upgrade from Ubuntu 10 LTS to Ubuntu 12
> > LTS, it seems it related to tomcat 6.0.35, because it is recommended
> > to have tomcat 6.0.33 which doesn't come by default with Ubuntu
> > 12.04.4
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Amin

once a day one of the management servers crashes and the log gets filled with the following
messages:
> > > java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap
> > > spac0java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsExceptioneCaused by:
> > > java.io.EOFException: SSL peer shut down incorrectlyCaused by:
> > > javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Remote host closed connection
> > > during handshake and there are a few others. When the one
> > > management server tanks, although the other management server is
> > > up and active, it won't actually process any UI commands until the
> > > crashed server is restarted.  Example of won't process any UI
> > > command is create a new instance, create a new account, etc. After
> > > doing some searching I have found that others have noticed java
> > > heap errors in 4.2.1, and the suggested fix is to increase the
> > > heap size. I am planning on increasing it from 2g to 4g, however
> > > if the problem is something like a memory leak, then increasing
> > > the heap size will just delay the inevitable. Has anyone else
> > > fixed this issue by increasing the heap size? Or what is the
> > > recommended value? **updated...as expected I increased the heap
> > > size from 2g to 4g, and it just too
> >  k longer for the problem to reoccur...
> > > In my honest opinion of bigger concern is the fact that when one management
server crashes the other stops functioning as well. So this begs the question of why even
bother with a redundant pair of servers..Anybody else experience this issue? I would love
to hear any dev guys opinion on this....