cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Schmit <sam.sch...@appcore.com>
Subject HypervisorType - possible feature idea
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:57:38 GMT
Hello everyone,

I've recently started working with Cloudstack, and was going through the
codebase and had a question about a possible feature for future versions -
making the HypervisorType more dynamic.  Right now, it seems there are
several places where specific types are referenced.  I would like to make
it more dynamic - have hypervisors be a pluggable type so that any
hypervisor can be added using the Cloudstack plugin architecture.

I've taken a look at the existing code, and it seems as though the enum is
used not just by the hypervisor's "discoverer" class, but also by other
classes/methods to say which hypervisors they work with or are looking for.

Is there a reason it's done this way, instead of generating a dynamic list
of hypervisors that are supported at run-time?  Have there been attempts to
make this change in the past?  Has anyone begun work on this feature
already?  Anyone have thoughts on where the easy/difficult areas for such
an undertaking would reside?

Thanks for any thoughts on this, and I look forward to working with
everyone in the near future.

Sam Schmit