cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rajani Karuturi <Rajani.Karut...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Maven style checker issue
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2014 04:54:52 GMT
Hi Frank,

Did you use the plugin mentioned in the wiki @ https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Coding+conventions#Codingconventions-IntellijIdea

I am using it and haven’t seen any issues so far.

~Rajani

On 08-Apr-2014, at 5:12 am, Frank Zhang <Frank.Zhang@citrix.com<mailto:Frank.Zhang@citrix.com>>
wrote:

I struggled two days to fix my several tens of files for trailing space, tab, unused imports...
manually(vim + sed).
Yes, manually because I am using Intellj the ApacheCloudStack formatter profile won't work
for me, even though Intellj 13 claims supporting Eclipse formatter profile,  it doesn't work
at all.
I can understand most of rules except below:

1. Using the '.*' form of import should be avoided

This totally breaks Intellj and some J2SE library. Intellj will automatically use a single
".*" to replace multiple separate imports if all imports are from the same package. And if
you use JAXB which is J2SE XML standard library, you will see it puts "javax.xml.bind.annotation.*"
on every generated java-xml binding.

2.  Name 'SSHPublicKey' must match pattern '^[a-z][a-zA-Z0-9]*$'.  What's wrong in using SSH
instead of Ssh?

I don't know what standard these rules are based on, and I don't think there is a world agreed
standard in Java for code format.

When we defined these rules, did we widely consider people not using Eclipse? Do we really
think these rules make our code look better(to be honest, I don't know what's wrong with trailing
space and tab, remember Java is not Python)?