cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Roque Marques <pedro.r.marq...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] LXC systemvm
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2014 04:50:34 GMT
Rohit,

On Apr 29, 2014, at 12:07 PM, Rohit Yadav <bhaisaab@apache.org> wrote:
> This looks great, Chiradeep can you share with us how the networking will
> work in case of using systemvms in LXC containers, how it will communicate
> with outside world and with other instances running in shared/separate LXC
> containers.

LXC networking can be configured to work just like a VM; one typically associates the LXC
with a linux network namespace and uses a "veth" port instead of a "tap" interface.

For examples of how configure OpenContrail to use netns see:
 1. https://github.com/pedro-r-marques/opencontrail-netns; (no orchestration system)
 2. https://github.com/pedro-r-marques/nova-docker/blob/opencontrail/novadocker/virt/docker/opencontrail.py;
(openstack + docker).

The same recipes can be used to configure bridged interfaces or OVS;

In the case of using OpenContrail you get the added benefit that it integrates functionality
such as "security-groups", dhcp, vpc support all in one... so you don't need to worry about
ip-chains and L3 agents.

> Will we need a loadbalancer (like nginx) for reverse proxying
> and example or use case of a infra deployment.

The OpenStack crowd typically implements the load balancer and external router (aka cloudstack
domain router) as an app running inside a netns.

> Lastly, will we have feature
> of moving containers across machines and some distributed locking service
> that the systemvms or agent may implement?

The neat thing about containers is how fast they start (and how little overhead they have)
compared to VMs. To move containers, just kill one and start the other;

  Pedro.