cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Alena Prokharchyk <Alena.Prokharc...@citrix.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] ROOT volume detach - feature for CS 4.5
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2014 18:37:45 GMT
I would like to propose a new feature for CS 4.5 - "ROOT volume detach" - that enables support
for following use cases:

1) Replace current ROOT volume with the new one for  existing vm.
2) Case when ROOT volume of vm1 gets corrupted, and you want to attach it to vm2 to run the
recovery utils on it. With current CS implemntation, you have to perform several steps - create
snapshot of vm1's volume, create volume from snapshot, attach volume to the vm2. New implementation
will merge it all to one step.

With the planned implementation, once the ROOT volume is detached, it can be attached to any
existing vm (with respect to Admin/Domain/Physical resources limitations), either as a DataDisk
or a Root disk.

Amazon EC2 already has this functionality in place, so I think CS would only benefit from
having it. Storage experts (Edison, others) please raise your concerns if you have any, or
if you see any potential problems with the planned implementation. And if anyone can think
of other use cases this feature can possible solve, I would appreciate this input as well.

Feature limitations:

* ROOT volume can be detached only when vm is in Stopped state
* CS will fail to start the vm not having a ROOT volume

I will send out the link to the FS once I start getting feedback on the proposal.

-Alena.