cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Amogh Vasekar <amogh.vase...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Ability to add new guest OS
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2014 06:34:02 GMT
Hi,

Thanks,
Amogh

On 3/4/14 12:00 AM, "Daan Hoogland" <daan.hoogland@gmail.com> wrote:

>+1 for the feature,
>
>Did you consider systemvms? Or the default vm-template? Or are those
>marked as undeletable or even hardcoded in case the table gets editted
>outside of ACS?
[Amogh] Sorry, I don't think I get the question here. The table would only
map the OS name of systemvm, which is standardized in CloudStack, to the
hypervisor specific OS name.
For the undeletable part, please refer to the next one.

>The delete feature is vital. You marked it as open for discussion but
>I don't agree. The admin should delete when he makes a mistake! Or
>when an os has a structural vulnerability!
[Amogh] Sure! I should have been clearer in the doc. I meant to say that
some mappings may be marked as non-editable / non-deletable. These may be
the ones that come bundled in with CloudStack, or a subset of those. This
second point was the one I had in mind with respect to being open for
discussion.
All admin specified mappings should be editable / deletable.

>How and when is memory mapping done? Someone is busy instantiating a
>template based on an os which in the meanwhile is being deleted. What
>happens?
[Amogh] This is a good point. The current implementation I have in mind
would use these mappings as the VM details are being created to be sent to
the agent. As such, it should honor the user view of details. Let me get
back with more details on this though.