cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: upgrading from CloudPlatform 4.2.0 to CloudStack 4.3.0
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2014 05:15:13 GMT
I never did get an answer as to how those upgrade instructions are supposed
to work. I did however look at the code and we came up with our own
procedure. It's a bit messy because it involves changing the db, use at
your own risk.

1. Make changes to system vm template. save as systemvm-ver<num>.qcow2 and
upload to a place that the ssvm will be able to reach (e.g.
http://something.com/template).
2. Register new qcow2 template in cloudstack under the name/description
“SystemVM Template v<num> (KVM)”, with Debian 7 as the type.
3. Log into mysql for the cloudstack install, find the template, make note
of template id:
mysql
use cloud;
select * from vm_template where name="SystemVM Template v2 (KVM)";
5. Update the template to be a SYSTEM template:mysql update vm_template set
type='SYSTEM' where id=<id>;
▪ New system vms will now use this template simply because it's the highest
ID SYSTEM template for KVM. Existing system vms will either need to be
destroyed/recreated, or updated in the db and rebooted if you have
systemvm.recreate.enabled=true in global settings. Here's how to update so
that existing system vms will get the new template when rebooted:mysql
update vm_instance set vm_template_id='<new template id>' where
vm_template_id='<old template id>';
If you are unsure of the latest, you can check for the latest template in
use via:

mysql
select * from vm_instance where name like 'r-%' order by id desc limit 1;

Finally, go into cloudstack's global config and change the value of
router.template.kvm to be the name of your system vm template (e.g.
“SystemVM Template v2 (KVM)”). This will ensure new routers use the
template.