cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rajani Karuturi <Rajani.Karut...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Release cadence
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:45:46 GMT
The primary problem I feel is that we dont plan our releases.(I am fairly new here and I may
be wrong)
The role of the release manager starts only during the RC creation phase asking for votes(again
I maybe wrong).

I feel it should start much earlier. Everyone who is actively involved should have a clear
idea on what we are going to release next.
We do this to an extent by sending proposals etc. but we really dont do planning and the big
picture is missing.

I think the RM should facilitate planning of the release and in the process take feedback
from the committers and users who are going to work on the release.
A single view of the current release status also would help immensely.

I like the way brackets.io does the release management through trello boards[1]. Probably
we could explore such options. It facilities voting on features, gives a quick view of whats
getting in the release which would help QA/anyone interested in testing to plan the testing
early on instead of waiting for RC.

I am for for short release cycles. "Release early, release often"
It shows project activity and builds developer confidence as long as we do quality releases
:)

[1] https://trello.com/b/LCDud1Nd/brackets

~Rajani