cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Turner <Stephen.Tur...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Support pure Xen as a hypervisor
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:28:51 GMT
+1. I find it confusing that "Xen" is used for XenServer rather than XenProject, and I think
it would be good to be explicit about which we mean in each case.

--
Stephen Turner

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Mackey [mailto:tmackey@gmail.com]
Sent: 18 March 2014 15:40
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org; users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: [PROPOSAL] Support pure Xen as a hypervisor

Historically CloudStack has used Xen and XenServer interchangeably to refer to any XenAPI
based implementation.  With the recent release of Xen Project
4.4 (http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2014/03/10/xen-4-4-released/), and interest in alternate
architectures like ARM, the loose definition of our Xen support could be confusing.  In this
two part effort I propose that CloudStack 4.4 be cleansed to ensure that all Xen references
become XenServer references, and second that an alternate hypervisor type of "XenProject"
be introduced for pure Xen which could either support libvirt or  libxl (preference for libvirt
given the 4.4 work to improve the interface and broader support for libvirt in general).

Cross posted to users to for broader comment.

-tim