cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Hitchins <alex.hitch...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Checking in code that will break others' environments
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:22:50 GMT
Thanks for the clarification Daan.

Regards

Alex Hitchins

D: +44 1892 523 587 | S: +44 2036 030 540 | M: +44 7788 423 969

alex.hitchins@shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Daan Hoogland [mailto:daan.hoogland@gmail.com]
Sent: 06 March 2014 10:54
To: dev
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Checking in code that will break others' environments

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Alex Hitchins <alex.hitchins@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> I agree too with this approach. One thing I'm not too familiar with is how the current
SQL versioning handled? I know of the schema-xxtoxx sql files but not so much how this are
arranged.

H Alex,

The present upgrades are on a per release basis. This means that you can upgrade from released
versions to other released versions or the present state of master. You can never upgrade
from master or downgrade or from some other random commit-state of the source.

The schema-xxxtoxxx are accompanying Upgradexxxtoxxx.java classes and schema-xxxtoxxx-cleanup
scripts. The DatabaseUpgradeChecker will find which version you are at according to the db
and then collect all of those three categories between then and the ersion you want to got
to.
Next it will first run all the schema-xxxtoxxx, then the Upgradexxxtoxxx code for migration
and finally the schema-xxxtoxxx-cleanup for throwing away any old or temporary tables.
And it will then add entries to the version table to indicate what just happened.
I'm not sure at what stage but this is not a single transaction anyway (the cleanups  are
a separate single transaction) so when it fails midways, you are up for a restore and -try.

regards,
--
Daan