cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sudha Ponnaganti <sudha.ponnaga...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Checking in code that will break others' environments
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2014 20:23:37 GMT
+1 esp changes in DB area should be notified.
DB changes should be frozen couple of weeks before RC so QA would get time to run through
tests - otherwise we would be going in circles.

BTW do you have commit id for this particular check in

Thanks
/Sudha

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Tutkowski [mailto:mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:19 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Checking in code that will break others' environments

Hi,

I encountered a bit of a problem this morning and thought I would bring it up for discussion.

If we already have a policy around this, please let me know.

So, I fetched the latest and rebased my local 4.4 development branch on top of master. This
all went just fine.

When I rebuilt and re-started the CS Management Server, I soon realized I could no longer
log in from the GUI.

As it turns out, the DB schema had been updated and so my database was out of date. The code
was querying for fields that didn't exist in my DB.

As far as I know, the easiest way to get around this is to destroy my current cloud, run the
script to re-build my database, then re-create my cloud, which is somewhat time consuming.

Do we have a process in place currently in which we ask those who make such changes to send
out a notification e-mail to dev@ to give people a heads up that updating will lead to such
issues? On previous projects, we would send out an e-mail and then people could be aware to
only update if they were prepared for such re-work.

To be clear here, I'm not meaning to pick on anyone in particular...this has happened several
times over the course of my CloudStack development and I expect that I, too, have checked
in such code (without sending out a relevant e-mail) that lead people to have to perform such
a complete re-build action un-expectedly.

What do people think about this? Maybe we should just add an e-mail tag or something and point
people to the relevant commit?

Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*