cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UPDATE][DOCS][PROPOSAL] Move to .rst and new repos
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:12:06 GMT

On Jan 27, 2014, at 11:25 AM, sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Quick update on this thread.
>
> I made some initial commits to the two new docs repo:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack-docs-admin.git;a=summary
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack-docs-install.git;a=summary
>
> These were made by:
> 1- using publican to build a html-single output of the current documentation.
> 2- using pandoc to convert the single html page to .rst
> 3- build a sphinx project for each repo using sphinx-quickstart
> 4- moved the .rst file to the skeleton sphinx project
> 5- fixed Note and Warning tags
> 6- fixed some issues with couple images not present or replication of reference
>
> This leads to two successful build, even though there are still warning and lots of work
to do with the table of content.

> To test the result I created two Read The Docs projects, the results is on-line:
>
> http://cloudstack-administration.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
> http://cloudstack-installation.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
>
> This is clearly not finished and this will require more work to check the format, the
conversion with pandoc may have broken some things.

> The end result so far is that I feel it is much easier to work with, just grab your favorite
editor and you can actually read the docs, and fix it.
> I also right away deleted some chapters in the admin guide (concepts..) that were a copy
of the install guide.

> I plan to do the same process for the release notes...
>
> -Sebastien
>
> On Jan 22, 2014, at 6:27 PM, Alex Hitchins <alex.hitchins@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I think if possible;
>>
>> http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org could go to a page with both sets available, linking
>>
>> http://admin.docs.cloudstack.apache.org
>> http://install.docs.cloudstack.apache.org

Any other thoughts ???

>> My thinking is docs.cloudstack.apache.org is easier to remember.
>>
>> I wonder if there is a SEO benefit to either option. Be good it the install and admin
guides we well crawled.

>> Alex Hitchins
>> +44 7788 423 969

having a repo for each guide/book would be good.

guide (for instance) you will hit http://admin.foo ...

>> We propose to use:
>>
>> http://docs-admin.cloudstack.apache.org
>> http://docs-install.cloudstack.apache.org
>>
>> thoughts ? better ideas ?
>>
>> -Sebastien
>> Need Enterprise Grade Support for Apache CloudStack?
>> Our CloudStack Infrastructure Support<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-infrastructure-support/>
>>
>> Apache CloudStack Bootcamp training courses
>>
>> **NEW!** CloudStack 4.2.1 training<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>> 18th-19th February 2014, Brazil. Classroom<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>> 17th-23rd March 2014, Region A. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>> 24th-28th March 2014, Region B. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>> 16th-20th June 2014, Region A. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>> 23rd-27th June 2014, Region B. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>

incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered
trademark.