cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Damoder Reddy <Damoder.Re...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Windowsfication Of ACS
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2014 07:02:13 GMT
Thank you all for your inputs.

 I will aggregate all these things into FS  as appendix and will put comments there instead
of replying here one by one. Once I am done with update in FS I will notify so that we can
verify whether we are covering all or not.

Thanks & Regards
Damodar/

-----Original Message-----
From: abhisek basu [mailto:abhisekbasu@msn.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2014 9:16 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Cc: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Windowsfication Of ACS

Getting a Windows version will expand ACS reach to a large no of audience and make it more
OS independent from its core. As far as the tools are concern, I am sure it's achievable,
we have the most enthusiastic community contributors behind :)

Sent from my iPhone

> On 16 Feb 2014, at 1:08 am, "Alex Hitchins" <alex.hitchins@shapeblue.com> wrote:
>
> I would guess that Windows has tools for managing a large number of Hyper-V hosts? I
wonder what ACS would add to that.

> I still think it would be a very achievable goal and worth doing.
>

> Regards
>
> Alex Hitchins
>
> D: +44 1892 523 587 | S: +44 2036 030 540 | M: +44 7788 423 969
>
> alex.hitchins@shapeblue.com

based management servers lurking around, because I think they'll be pretty wedded to Microsoft
to want Hyper-V as the hypervisor. So being able to deploy windows based management servers
seems essential to the use of Hyper-V (for better or worse).

> I think also there are probably a lot of Windows based Enterprises who also wouldn't
like to a couple of stray Linux boxes running the show.  I guess Microsoft think there is
a market for Windows based private clouds or they wouldn't have created the Behemoth that
is the Azure Pack.

> ...and Apache Tomcat have managed to create a windows port - so how hard can it be? [tic]
>
> Regards
>
> Paul Angus
> Cloud Architect

I see quite a few holes in this proposal.

>> - Management server should never have mounted the NFS secondary storage.  We need
to fix that.  Please have a talk with Kelven about this.  I don't see us adding Samba to any
machine that runs the management server.  If this is just about seeding the system template,
it can be done as part of installation rather than management server.
>> - If I truly think about Windowsification, I think windows installer, windows service,
opening ports in windows firewall.  I don't see any of that here.  Or else it's useless for
windows people.
>>        - For java, most people write a windows service that launches the jvm and
keeps track of the jvm.
>> - There's a number of things that CloudStack management server does today at startup
that should not be there and those are what complicates the windowfication.   These things
should be moved out of the management server and into installation.  What should be inside
the management server startup procedure should be checks, rather than generations.  It should
check for ssh key exists and the database version matches etc but it should not do the following.
>>        - Upgrade of the database
>>        - ssh key generation
>>        - iso generation.
>>
>> --Alex
>

> A couple of more to add to the list.
> There isn't really a good binary software dependency resolution framework for Windows
(at least not that I am aware of) and you potentially need lots of different things - mysql
libraries, python, ipmitool, or another shell to execute shell scripts. Look at the list of
the dependencies we install in the RPMs for an idea of things that are missing. Is the plan
to bundle those in the binaries? (If so, we need to be having a serious discussion around
a shift of a number system requirements to dependencies which may or may not be
> acceptable.) With what appears to be some serious refactoring in how the management server
works that Alex outlines and I doubt this is a short term goal. (e.g. 4.4 timeframe). If you
are going to take on all of the refactoring work, please start by building tests that prove
that it all works today and then verify the same behavior in the refactored work.