cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Abhinandan Prateek <Abhinandan.Prat...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: 4.4 Feature Freeze
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:10:54 GMT
I think we should have a rigid feature proposal date. Then we can go thru
the features and the effort required and be flexible on feature freeze
date.
All features are not equal and some features will require some flexibility
in terms of feature freeze. Yes if some feature is complex and will not be
of sufficient quality even if the dates were bit flexible should be moved
out.

Will say that as committers we should be very rigid about the quality.
This means having a tight control on features that should go in. Once that
decision is made help the feature owners with some flexibility to get
quality code in.

-abhi

On 28/02/14 8:10 pm, "Erik Weber" <terbolous@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>know that it'll be 5-6 months before release.
>
>Erik
> 27. feb. 2014 20:57 skrev "Mike Tutkowski" <mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com>
>følgende:
>
>> I'm not sure I would say that not moving the feature-freeze date is a
>> penalty, but it does have consequences for customers...as does the fact
>> that we miss our release deadlines consistently.
>>
>> If you are working on a feature that hasn't been advertised to your
>> customers via a roadmap or some other mechanism, then it doesn't really
>> matter, I suppose, if you release that feature today or, say, four
>>months
>> from now when the next release comes out.
>>
>> However, many of us work under the direction of a roadmap that has been
>> made visible to our customers. In such an environment, these customers
>>do
>> expect when you tell them feature X will be out in, say, 4.3 that it
>>does,
>> in fact, come out in 4.3 and not four months later in 4.4.
>>
>> I just wanted to point this out because I've seen in several e-mails
>>over
>> the past year the following idea: If a feature doesn't make it into this
>> release, no big deal - it can be put in the next release.
>>
>> While technically true, this does not take into consideration customer
>> expectations around feature-release dates.
>>
>> Personally, I'd rather push a feature-freeze date back by a couple weeks
>> than make customers (of mine or anyone else's) wait another 1/3 of a
>>year
>> or more for the feature(s) in question.
>>
>> At some point, however, we need to conduct a retrospective to uncover
>>why
>> we are not hitting our deadlines. Perhaps the deadlines are too tight?
>> Perhaps there is a process issue missing (or in place) that prevents us
>> from doing so? etc.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 8:21 PM, John Kinsella <jlk@stratosec.co> wrote:
>>
>> > I don't see not moving the freeze date as a penalty.  If a feature
>> doesn't
>> > make the current deadline, it moves to the next release, which is
>>still a
>> > few months away. For significant issues, it's not uncommon for us to
>> allow
>> > them in late.
>> >
>> > What we have a stronger need for than shifting a date, by several
>>orders
>> > of magnitude, is understanding why the RC process took so long and
>>what
>> we
>> > can do in the future to make that not so painful.
>> >
>> > For the record I'm +0 on moving the feature freeze date.
>> >
>> > John

>>way
>> > to get a cleaner RC and thereby impacting their feature development
>> > efforts. We shouldn't be penalizing them with this 2 week's feature

(to push out feature

development cycles

Chaturvedi <

on 4 month cycle or