cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Alena Prokharchyk <Alena.Prokharc...@citrix.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Introduce API returning you an answer from CloudStack storage/host allocators whethere there is enough resources for vm deployment
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2014 00:26:34 GMT
Currently there is no way to know if there is enough resources for vm deployment, before actual
deployVm call is made. The sequence is the following:

1) Deploy Vm is called
2) DB record is created for the Vm
3) Storage/Host allocators determine whethere there are enough resources for vm to be deployed,
and return deploy destination to the caller stack.
4) If allocator returns valid deploy destination, VM gets actually created/started on the
backend. If allocators don't return the destination, the DB record created on step 2) gets
destroyed, and ResourceAllocation exception is thrown back to the API caller.

The API I'm going to introduce, would help you to determine whether CS physical resources
- hosts, storages - can potentially accomodate vm deployment (considering template/service/diskOffering)
at a given time, w/o actually calling the deploy vm. Some admins might find this call useful
as they can always make this check before submitting the deployVm, so in case it returns NO,
you can fail the deployment immediately, w/o calling deployVm. Also you can make this call
to determine what is lacking for certain vm deployment, and expand your physical resources
accordingly.

Please let me know if see any pitfalls in the proposal, as well if you see any other use cases
that can be solved using this API.

Prachi, can you please point me to an existing method (or interface) defined in Allocators
code serving this purpose?

Thanks,
-Alena.