cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Hugo Trippaers <h...@trippaers.nl>
Subject Re: Code quality, QA, etc
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2014 08:46:00 GMT
Hey David,

I would make a distinction between code issues and functional issues. Occasionally somebody
just plainly breaks the build, i’m guilty of that myself actually, and thats just plain
stupid. Luckily we have Jenkins to catch these errors quickly. I’m in a continuous struggle
with Jenkins to get the build time to less than 5 minutes. I feel that is an acceptable time
to get feedback on a commit, any longer and you have moved on to the next thing or gone home.
Also this kind of testing isn’t really hard, run the build and unit tests. By introducing
something like gerrit we can actually make this happen before committing it to the repo. Push
a patch to gerrit, gerrit tells jenkins to test the patch, if +1 from jerkins commit, for
non committers the step would be to invite somebody for review as well. Second nice thing
about jenkins is the post-review test, if a contributor submits a patch its build by jenkins,
if a reviewes approves the patch, jerkins will again run a build to ensure that the patch
will still apply and doesn’t break the build. Very handy if there is some time between patch
submission and patch review.

Functional issues are much harder to track. For example yesterday i found several issues in
the contrail plugin that would not cause any pain in a contrail environment, but any other
environments creating a network would fail. These examples are too common and difficult to
catch with unit tests. It can be done, but requires some serious effort on the developers
side and we in general don’t seem to be very active at writing unit tests. These kind of
issues can only be found by actually running CloudStack and executing a series of functional
tests. Ideally that is what we have the BVT suite for, but i think our current BVT setup is
not documented enough to give accurate feedback to a developer about which patch broke a certain
piece of functionality. In jenkins the path from code to BVT is not kept yet, so it is almost
impossible to see which commits were new in a particular run of the bvt suite.

Personally i’m trying to get into the habit of running a series of tests on devcloud before
committing something. Doesn't prove a lot, but does guarantee that the bare basic developer
functionality is working before committing something. After a commit at least i’m sure that
anybody will be able to spinup devcloud and deploy an instance. I’m trying to get this automated
as well so we can use this as feedback on a patch. Beers for anyone who writes an easy to
use script that configures devcloud with a zone and tests if a user vm can be instantiated
on an isolated sourcenat network. If we could include such a script in the tree it might help
people with testing their patch before committing.

I think we are seeing more and more reverts in the tree. Not necessarily a good thing, but
at least people know that there is that option if a commit really breaks a build. Also please
help each other out, everybody can make a mistake and commit it. If its a trivial mistake
it might not be much effort to track it down and fix it, which is way better than a revert
or a mail that something is broken.

In short, we need to make testing more efficient and transparent to allow people to easily
incorporate it in their personal workflow.

Cheers,

Hugo