cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Weber <terbol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 4.4 Feature Freeze
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 14:40:28 GMT
As a customer of several companies involved with cloudstack i must say that
having a reliable time schedule is more important than having feature X.
We've been waiting for 4.3 since we discovered a bug that got fixed in 4.3
but not in 4.2 branch and rendered us unable to use that version.

If 4.3 had held it's schedule we would've been rolling almost one month
ago, instead we are still wasting time waiting for a supported version.

If 4.4 now were to be postponed and an important bug appears in 4.3 with a
fix in 4.4 it would have me thinking about moving to other solutions if i
know that it'll be 5-6 months before release.

Erik
 27. feb. 2014 20:57 skrev "Mike Tutkowski" <mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com>
følgende:

> I'm not sure I would say that not moving the feature-freeze date is a
> penalty, but it does have consequences for customers...as does the fact
> that we miss our release deadlines consistently.
>
> If you are working on a feature that hasn't been advertised to your
> customers via a roadmap or some other mechanism, then it doesn't really
> matter, I suppose, if you release that feature today or, say, four months
> from now when the next release comes out.
>
> However, many of us work under the direction of a roadmap that has been
> made visible to our customers. In such an environment, these customers do
> expect when you tell them feature X will be out in, say, 4.3 that it does,
> in fact, come out in 4.3 and not four months later in 4.4.
>
> I just wanted to point this out because I've seen in several e-mails over
> the past year the following idea: If a feature doesn't make it into this
> release, no big deal - it can be put in the next release.
>
> While technically true, this does not take into consideration customer
> expectations around feature-release dates.
>
> Personally, I'd rather push a feature-freeze date back by a couple weeks
> than make customers (of mine or anyone else's) wait another 1/3 of a year
> or more for the feature(s) in question.
>
> At some point, however, we need to conduct a retrospective to uncover why
> we are not hitting our deadlines. Perhaps the deadlines are too tight?
> Perhaps there is a process issue missing (or in place) that prevents us
> from doing so? etc.
>
> Thanks!
>

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 8:21 PM, John Kinsella <jlk@stratosec.co> wrote:
>
> > I don't see not moving the freeze date as a penalty.  If a feature
> doesn't
> > make the current deadline, it moves to the next release, which is still a
> > few months away. For significant issues, it's not uncommon for us to
> allow
> > them in late.
> >
> > What we have a stronger need for than shifting a date, by several orders
> > of magnitude, is understanding why the RC process took so long and what
> we
> > can do in the future to make that not so painful.
> >
> > For the record I'm +0 on moving the feature freeze date.
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Feb 26, 2014, at 7:10 PM, Ram Ganesh <Ram.Ganesh@citrix.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I share it too. Many developers in the community went out of their way
> > to get a cleaner RC and thereby impacting their feature development
> > efforts. We shouldn't be penalizing them with this 2 week's feature
> freeze
> > schedule
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > RamG