cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API Calls with key value pairs (Details)
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 19:25:57 GMT
If I'm not mistaken, I think the primary concern wasn't about breaking
compatibility, but simply this:

"The format seems very cumbersome compared to accesskey=<value>
secretkey=<value> - has this been a community decision to move in this
direction that I've missed?"

I'd say yes, it was a community decision, and out of necessity,
because various storage types are going to require various data. We
can't (easily) hack on a table column/api param every time a new
storage type needs a custom piece of data, so the 'details' abstracts
that. This allows even third party vendors who simply ship a plugin,
with no community involvment, to have custom parameters that don't
need to be api params.

That said, we could probably add optional API params for a common
subset of community maintained storage types, as a convenience, but
whether to use the details parameter or create new ones is up to the
API designer(s).

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Min Chen <min.chen@citrix.com> wrote:
> AddImageStore has no such issues of breaking existing scripts at all. There has no change
on that API in 4.3.

> Thanks
> -min
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Feb 12, 2014, at 9:36 AM, "Animesh Chaturvedi" <animesh.chaturvedi@citrix.com>
wrote:

>> Can you call out which scripts in particular? Copying min for S3 comment. May be
i am missing something but i dont think Devdeep's change breaks  compatibility. If we do not
specify password in details  not sure how else the password special characters can be handled
without double encoding of the URL ( first just the password and then the URL). But double
encoding means server implementation is leaking into API. The API caller would have to encode
the password first if it is in URL and then encode the URL.

>> Thanks
>> Animesh
>>
>>> On Feb 12, 2014, at 6:19 AM, "Alex Hitchins" <alex.hitchins@shapeblue.com>
wrote:

>>> I think that what Paul was saying. Scripts that have run no longer do.
>>>
>>> I don't think they are scripts written only in 4.3 environments either but I
could be wrong.

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Alex Hitchins
>>>
>>> D: +44 1892 523 587 | S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +44 7788 423 969
>>>
>>> alex.hitchins@shapeblue.com

storage pool. This was done for adding smb as a primary storage and was done in 4.3 (adding
smb as a pool type wasn't available in earlier release).

it would mean adding a password with special characters could fail if the password wasn't
encoded and then the entire url encoded again. So I updated it to pass smb user information
in details. This is required only if a storage pool being added is of type smb.

>>> 17th-23rd March 2014, Region A. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>>> 24th-28th March 2014, Region B. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>>> 16th-20th June 2014, Region A. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>>> 23rd-27th June 2014, Region B. Instructor led, On-line<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>
>>>
>>> This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely
incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered
trademark.