cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject [DISCUSS] realhostip.com going away
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 20:27:14 GMT
Folks: Recently the PMC was informed that the realhostip.com DNS service that ACS currently
uses by default as part of the console proxy will be disbanded this summer.

We’ve been informed the realhostip service will be shut down June 30th, 2014, so we have
approximately 4 months to mitigate this.

Here’s my thoughts on how to proceed, in order of priority:

* Make the transition as smooth as possible for current ACS users. Need to create clear documentation
in the wiki that we can point to on how to migrate an existing ACS installation from using
realhostip.com to a user’s own certificate and resolver. I see section 16.4.2 in the 4.2
admin guide talks about this, but I think we can improve a bit. e.g. the current docs don’t
make it clear that a wildcard cert is required. Once we have a transition guide in place,
I intend to announce to users@ and announce@ along with the social media paths. This isn’t
private, but I’d rather not announce until we have a clear, tested easy to follow transition
guide to make this as painless as possible for folks. I’m working on this and will update
after testing.
* If at all possible, I’d really like to get something big and visible into the 4.3 documentation
warning users about this.
* For 4.4, we should no longer be using SSL/realhostip for console proxy. We’re expecting
some patches to address this, I’ll update this thread once they hit and/or a Jira issue
is created.

Open to any thoughts/suggestions.

John