cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Hitchins <alex.hitch...@shapeblue.com>
Subject FW: Unicode Characters in Input Fields
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2014 14:16:46 GMT
All,

Further to the below, I've done some digging around and have located the following change
: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.cloudstack.devel/7621

It looks like the validation was created to prevent non-printable characters from being entered.
A regex was used to match the undesirable characters. This was included in 4.1 (note that
3.x does not have this issue).

My regular expression knowledge could do with improving. Could someone verify that the pattern
[\000-\037\177] will match on characters such as ü as well as the ASCII non-printable characters
are numbers 0 to 31 and 127 decimal.

If so, I can refine the validation to allow unicode yet exclude 0, 31 & 127.

Alex Hitchins
+44 7788 423 969

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Hitchins [mailto:alex.hitchins@shapeblue.com]
Sent: 08 January 2014 11:31
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Unicode Characters in Input Fields

Hi all,

I've run in to a bug regarding entering Unicode characters in input fields, namely the new
user form.

My issue is that you can create new users in CPBM with Unicode characters in the name - such
as ü however this causes a problem in CloudStack as they aren't supported.

I can see the line of code where the validation occurs - my question is - is this be design
or is this an issue? I'm guessing Japanese and German users can enter in Unicode characters,
especially for the users names.

Regards,

Alex Hitchins

**NEW!** CloudStack 4.2 training<http://shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/>