cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Nux! <...@li.nux.ro>
Subject RE: [VOTE] 3rd round of voting for ASF 4.2.1 RC
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 18:44:30 GMT
On 03.01.2014 18:31, Edison Su wrote:
> Regarding to KVM binaries, in order to make volume snapshot working
> with cloudstack, we need KVM hypervisor support following features:
> 1. disk only snapshot, don't save vm memory(saving vm memory usually
> takes several seconds. In RHEL <6.3, it will even take few minutes for
> a vm with large memory. It means user vm will be paused for that long
> time, during snapshot, which may be not acceptable for many users).
> 2. be able to backup snapshot from primary storage to secondary
> storage.
>
> Few years ago, I send two patches to KVM community:
> [1]http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-09/msg00655.html
> [2]http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-09/msg01662.html
> The [2] is already in KVM upstream, the [1] is not checked in at that
> time, but it's supported later on, with the so called "disk-only"
> snapshot.
>
> In ACS release, we(Citrix QA team) usually test it on RHEL 6, which
> doesn't have above functionalities, that's why I say the kvm snapshot
> is not supported by default. But if you are using latest kvm
> distribution, you will get this feature. Maybe we should support newer
> version of KVM distribution better, such as the upcoming Ubuntu 14.04
> etc?

Edison,

This is a good idea, especially as RHEL7 is coming and it has pretty
neat features.
Even with EL6 qemu-kvm-rhev that I built[1] most of this stuff is
working great
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Virt_Live_Snapshots , even VM
snapshots could be supported.
I'll probably get back to the list with more questions about how to
enable VM snapshots later this week.

[1] - http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/tmp/kvm-rhev/el6/

Nux!
www.nux.ro