cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Min Chen <min.c...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: S3 API to get S3 bucket usage data?
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:54:47 GMT
Thanks a lot for your clarification, John. This issue was raised by some of CloudStack S3 customers,
and they are questioning why we didn't display the usage information for their S3 secondary
storage in CloudStack Dashboard UI, which includes both size of objects in the bucket and
physical space in the cluster a bucket occupies. I totally agree with you that these will
be vendor specific, and we should not bother to display them on CloudStack UI.

Thanks
-min

From: John Burwell <jburwell@basho.com<mailto:jburwell@basho.com>>
Date: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:42 AM
To: Min Chen <min.chen@citrix.com<mailto:min.chen@citrix.com>>
Cc: "dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>" <dev@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:dev@cloudstack.apache.org>>,
Thomas O'Dowd <tpodowd@cloudian.com<mailto:tpodowd@cloudian.com>>
Subject: Re: S3 API to get S3 bucket usage data?

Min,

Such a notion is completely anachronistic to a client object store due to the abstraction
— it is solely an operational.  Hence, you won’t find space information available in object
store client APIs.

The first question is what space information are you seeking?  The logical size of the objects
in the bucket or how much physical space in the cluster a bucket occupies?  The first is simply
a sum of all object sizes in the bucket.  The second is very difficult to answer through the
client interface due to factors such as the intra-cluster replication factor for the bucket,
the use of mechanisms such as erasure encoding and compression, and the number of data centers
to which the object is replicated. For these reasons, space information is typically only
exposed via the operational monitoring interfaces, and would likely need to be acquired through
vendor specific drivers.

Thanks,
-John

On Jan 15, 2014, at 1:27 PM, Min Chen <min.chen@citrix.com<mailto:min.chen@citrix.com>>