cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UI blocker
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 19:52:57 GMT

On Jan 17, 2014, at 1:41 PM, Brian Federle <Brian.Federle@citrix.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but cosmetic issues are not blockers :) It would only be a blockers if the functionality
were NOT usable in any shape or form, for both testing and end use.

I disagree, cosmetics i.e look and feel of a new major revision of a software are as important
as critical backend features. Because users will look at it, managers, execs…etc, it will
be displayed in demos, printed on booths etc….anything that does not look top notch reflects
badly on the project and the software.

> i.e. -- if the fields were completely missing or garbled in some way, I would agree that
we can classify the bug as blocking release. Looking 'ugly', no -- I implemented the scrollbars
because most times API keys, etc. are usually very long strings, causing overflow on some
browsers and in most usability cases people are mainly needing to just copy/paste the values
into other fields. It's not the most elegant solution I understand, but this is also a small
facet of the whole UI experience.

Attention to details is important. Personally the new UI is distracting to me, the variation
in fonts/font sizes is distracting instead of putting emphasis and focus. There are other
things, like 'ovm' still showing up in the add cluster drop down when OVM is not supported
in CloudStack, but you are right it's a detail who cares.

> I am going to ask everyone to PLEASE respect this when determining priority on UI bugs
-- I know things like this are somewhat ugly, but there are only a small handful of full-time
UI developers working on CloudStack and it makes our lives harder if everyone is marking trivial
stuff as show-stoppers.

This is great, so it can look like crap, as long as it works we release on the first iteration
of a major revision. In any case you can remove this as a blocker, it seems I am in minority
here, at least I got you to respond on the list and share your thoughts on the subject. As
a parting thought though, I don't think that 'everyone is making trivial stuff as show-stoppers',
I did not hear many UI blocker bugs lately

> At any rate, if you still think this is a blocker, you can feel free to look into it
yourself, in which case write a review request and I'll take a look at it.

> -Brian

more flexible sizing for long strings. File that as a separate bug for the next release and
I'll take a look at it.

> No, I will keep that as a blocker. it's worse than the previous UI, feel free to comment
in the bug and grab it.

and weight, color, etc. are used to show contrast between content and titles. Sorry but I
do not see this as a blocker issue :) Though feel free to tweak the fonts yourself.