cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Hugo Trippaers <h...@trippaers.nl>
Subject Re: checkstyle problems...
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2014 08:48:10 GMT
Heya,

There is an option in the eclipse preferences for Checkstyle that will prevent the Checkstyle
Builder from running in the workspace rebuild apparently. The option is called ‘Run Checkstyle
in background on full builds’ and it in the Checkstyle menu of the Eclipse global preference.
This should get the workspace rebuild time back to normal.

Reference: http://sourceforge.net/p/eclipse-cs/feature-requests/140/

Cheers,

Hugo

On 15 jan. 2014, at 08:31, Hugo Trippaers <trippie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>

> There are two ideas behind using checkstyle a i’ve currently implemented it in the
maven build. First of all it runs for every project, this means that triggering a compile
on a single module will also run the checkstyle checks on it. So you don’t have to recompile
the entire project and use the slow global checkstyle check, but fast local audit. This also
ties in with my plans to get incremental builds going, the idea is to get Jenkins feedback
on a commit within 5 minutes of doing the commit. For this we need incremental builds which
builds only the modules that were touched by a commit (and possibly dependents). By having
checkstyle local to the module, it would be included in such a build. Secondly by making it
a maven module like this it means external plugin developers can include the exact same maven
configuration for their project and download our checkstyle configuration using the maven
framework. Not really a big deal, but it might help when we have more separate repositories
for plugins.

> The same reasoning goes for the maven license plugin, i’m testing that one in the opendaylight
plugin and it could replace the rat checks with a simple check that would run on every module
individually. But more on that later

> So my preference would be to keep it as is obviously, but i’m in agreement that it
shouldn’t cause trouble when using an editor like eclipse. I’m not seeing those issues
in my eclipse at the moment, so i’ll try to reproduce them and see if they can be fixed.

> Cheers,
>
> Hugo
>

> On 15 jan. 2014, at 05:02, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes.  I do believe it runs on every eclipse recompile because it's now part of the
build for every project.  I've gotten so frustrated with it, I've reverted the commit locally
but I don't know checkstyle very well so I'm hoping Hugo has a better solution.