cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject [DISCUSS] Potential removal of OpenJDK and Tomcat from Ubuntu main
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2014 21:53:52 GMT
Hi,

James Page from Canonical just pointed me to a thread [0] on the Ubuntu
Cloud list where the discussion started to remove OpenJDK7/Tomcat from
Ubuntu main.

He asked me what the impact would be regarding to CloudStack if users
would have to fetch OpenJDK and Tomcat from a 3rd party repo, so I
quickly responded that it would hurt the Ubuntu users running CloudStack.

For now it looks like OpenJDK and Tomcat will stay in Ubuntu's main
repository, but for me it sparked the discussion again around Java 7.

We can be pretty sure that distributions will be dropping Java 6 pretty
soon, so want to change the Maven settings to force Java 7 in the master
repository.

We should also start testing with Tomcat 7 since we can expect Ubuntu
14.04 (the next LTS) to only have that tomcat version.

We've been over the Java 7 switch over and over, so I recommend we
simply switch master.

I'll start a different thread about that later with a ANNOUNCE in it.

Wido

[0]: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2014-January/037991.html