cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject [GSOC2014] Ten Years of Google Summer of Code - GSoC 2014 is coming
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:49:51 GMT
All,

ASF is again going to apply for the Google Summer of Code program, see the email from Ulrich
Stark below.

If you want to be a mentor and have an idea, please read the email and enter your ideas in
jira with the proper labels.
Make sure to read the 'guide to be a mentor' as this is a time intensive task, so you need
to be committed.

PS: the first of many [GSOC2014] emails...

Cheers,

-Sebastien

On Jan 28, 2014, at 11:05 PM, Ulrich Stärk <uli@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello PMCs,
>
> Google Summer of Code [1] is celebrating it’s tenth year and we at Apache hopefully
our tenth year of participation. In order to also make this year a success for you and your
project, we now need your help.

> The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual projects don't
have to apply separately.

> If you want to participate with your project you have to do the following things by no
later than 2014-02-10 19:00 UTC

> - understand what it means to be a mentor [2].
>
> - record your project ideas. Just create issues in JIRA, label them with gsoc2014, and
they will show up at [3]. Please be as specific as possible when describing your idea. Include
the programming language, the tools and skills required, but try not to scare potential students
away. They are supposed to learn what's required before the program starts. Use labels, e.g.
for the programming language (java, c, c++, erlang, python, brainfuck, ...) or technology
area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...). Please use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording your
ideas if your project doesn't use JIRA (e.g. httpd, ooo). Contact dev@community.apache.org
if you need assistance. [4] contains some additional information.

> - subscribe to mentors@community.apache.org (this used to be the code-awards@apache.org
list, you don’t have to subscribe again; restricted to potential mentors, meant to be used
as a private list - general discussions on the public dev@community.apache.org list as much
as possible please). Use a recognized address when subscribing (@apache.org or one of your
alias addresses on record).

> Note that the ASF isn't accepted yet, nevertheless you *have to* start recording your
ideas now or we might not get accepted.

> Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects successfully. Some of our
prior students are active contributors now! Let's make this tenth year a success again!