cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "SuichII, Christopher" <Chris.Su...@netapp.com>
Subject Creating a CloudStack "SDK"
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:27:43 GMT
I’m curious if there is any interest in creating a “SDK” for developing plugins in CloudStack.
Right now, to develop my plugin, I need a development environment set up in order to have
the maven artifacts required for compiling against. This can end up being quite a bit of work
to maintain if you don’t need a full CS dev environment. In addition, it means that I need
every transitive dependency of the modules I require for compiling my plugin.

If we were to generate a dependency-less “SDK”, then it would allow plugin developers
to target JUST the portions of CloudStack they need (API, network, storage, etc.). I don’t
have much experience in this type of thing, so I’m not sure what the best course of action
would be. Could we generate a single jar that contains all of the CS classes based on the
maven groupId? This would allow us to generate a single SDK jar. If we thought it would be
beneficial to have multiple SDKs, we could create an API, util, storage & networking SDK,
etc.

I don’t think there are a whole lot of people that could take advantage of this right now,
but I think there may be in the future. In theory, it should be as simple as setting up an
extra maven profile that uses the maven shade plugin to package specific CS modules together
into a single jar.

Any thoughts?

-Chris
--