cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject [SUMMARY][DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] Move docs to .rst format and readthedocs
Date Sat, 21 Dec 2013 17:37:33 GMT
Looks like we have a consensus,

I will take this on and make sure it gets implemented as fast as possible.

If any one wants to start to contribute docs over christmas, please send pr to:
https://github.com/runseb/acsdocs

Thanks to Shankar for already sending a trouble shooting guide.

You can also send a rst or markdown file to review board, I will pull, convert and merge everything.
Once the move is made I will document the entire process.

Merry Christmas everyone,

-Sebastien

On Dec 19, 2013, at 4:47 PM, Animesh Chaturvedi <animesh.chaturvedi@citrix.com> wrote:

> [...]
feel we need to do it after 4.3.

> docs are not in the 4.3 code branch. it's different releases...
>
> Animesh> But they will be released together.
> [Animesh] Sebastien what is the planned ETA for the conversion to RST. ACS 4.3 planned
RC date is 1/10 and I would like to have the documentation ready by 1/3.

>> Animesh

pdf formatting lately) -Difficult to contribute to easily, docbook is fine but tedious to
work on.
>> -Errors in the docs don't get properly fixed -Mix of OS information -Lack of content
for certain features -Docs release cycle. Docs have bugs that will never get fixed in that
specific release (because we see it as code release)

>> To remedy some of those issues and work on a new release process specific to docs
we moved the docs to its own repo:

>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack-docs.git
>>
>> *I propose that we move away from docbook and use a more readable format: restructuredtext*
>>
>> I have worked on a prototype that uses restructured text:
>> http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html
>>
>> This format makes it extremely easy to write docs. Existing docbook content could
be converted to .rst using a tool like pandoc:
>> http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/
>>
>> *In addition to changing the format I propose that we use readthedocs.org*
>>
>> This will help with the release and build of the docs. readthedocs grabs the docs
from a git repo, builds html, pdf and epub.
>> It can also maintain several releases. We can apply a specific -theme- to our docs.

>> See a prototype here:
>>
>> http://cloudstack.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
>>
>> *I propose that we move to this as early as 4.3 documentation*
>>
>> Assuming this proposal passes, we would need to:
>>
>> -re-architect the repo
>> -create the proper cnames to be in accordance with trademark guidelines -we can decide
what content to keep or not and convert what we keep.
>> -decide how we organize the content
>> -start accepting pull requests (noting that pages can be edited directly from github)
-make a first release of this new doc site at the same time than 4.3 release.