cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Radhika Puthiyetath <radhika.puthiyet...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: CloudStack.next
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2013 04:32:47 GMT
+ 1 to process improvements and ecosystems (advertising CloudStack, reaching out to the student
community, which I always stand for)

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebastien Goasguen [mailto:runseb@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 7:38 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: CloudStack.next

Hi, this is a bit of a brain dump:

I tend to see different types of buckets:

1-Processes
Involves getting better as a community in terms of release, bug fixing, committing code, documentation
and user support. Some of these have already been discussed partially but we need to come
to consensus and act.
For example:
-we should have no unanswered questions on the lists. Anyway to have an official volunteer
support team ? With a 24/7 twilio number on the site that rings up someone out there :) ?
-we should catch up on bug fixing (and great job on 4.2.1 btw) -when we commit we cannot break
master, and I also would argue for committing docs when it's a new feature, right now master
is a catch all, instead of a super stable, high quality branch.
-we need much better docs
-we need to define standards for releases: RN, changes file, upgrade paths, testing etc.
-our testing infra needs to get much better, continuous testing for all branches, testing
on commits etc...maybe we should find a way to get help from cloudbees to get us on the right
tracks. Overall we need to be able to release at any instant with confidence.
-no feature should be un-documented and/or un-tested. for instance: there was a recent complaint
about lack of F5 documentation, and right now I have no clue who is testing the F5 integration.

2-Ecosystem
We need to build up the ecosystem around cloudstack and advertize it.
We integrate with almost everything out there, yet people don't know it. I wish that:
2.1 we would improve on support in existing software: all configuration mgt systems, main
cloud libraries, PaaS etc...
2.2 work with everyone in that ecosystem to advertize and demo CloudStack integration
2.3 work on extending that ecosystem (e.g Docker support, Cloudfoundry, Mesos, Spark, OpenDaylight
controller) some of it is just a matter of writing a tutorial, some of it there is actual
coding involved.
2.4 restart effort on AWS: as mentioned IAM is needed but there is more, we need to catch
with euca and integrate with netflixOSS software. Bring EMR, ELB, CloudWatch etc...I have
plans to work on this and hopefully propose a standalone AWS-ACS bridge with extended services.

3-Code (caveat, I am not a java developer) I still would love to see a lot of cleanup and
review. For example I believe the KVM agent uses some python scripts in cloud-cli, those don't
use Marvin. We should try to consolidate these. There is code in the tree that is unused,
we should clean it up. In the UI when you add a cluster we still list 'OVM' yet it's broken,
we need to clean. OStypes in image creation, we need to clean up...
Packaging and mavenization, we should finish that up and really make it super strong. We need
to call out to maven and package experts for a hand.
We had a small thread on KVM agent and we will have a talk at the hackathon, here I will pick
on Xen:
We need much better support for Xen_Project without using xapi (the xapi install on XP is
a pain), without xapi we could easily have ARM / Ceph support... Overall I would like to see
a strong core emerge with clean code separation with UI, DB abstraction,  backend drivers
and plugins. ( A bit pie in the sky, but a non java guy should be able to keep the core and
replace/add any other component, plug and play) Biggest item is probably a software architecture
blueprint, right now we don't have that. No UML diagram, no sequence diagram, most people
don't know how cloudstack actually works.

-seb (I will invest time on the ecosystem bucket)