cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Nitin Mehta <Nitin.Me...@citrix.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Ability to control the external facing id of CS resources
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2013 23:18:17 GMT
Admin should have the ability to control the external facing id of their resources (first
class objects). This is important for the admins to have better control over their clouds
say in case of emergencies when he/she wants to recover their resources.  For this I propose
that all the resource creation/updation API's need to be altered to take in the custom resource
id in case the admin wants a custom id.

Please note the following for the custom ids :-

  *   This is an optional field and if not set, CS will use its existing custom logic to assign
the resource id. If the CS id generation collides with the custom id, it will retry.
  *   They have to be unique for the particular type of resource.
  *   They will have to follow the UUID format.
  *   This is external Id change only and MS refers to all the objects through the DB ids.

I have created a JIRA item [1] for this and will come out with the FS soon. The work will
be done for the release post 4.3 release.
Please do share your suggestions/concerns on this.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-5206

Thanks,
-Nitin