cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "SuichII, Christopher" <Chris.Su...@netapp.com>
Subject Re: Bug? Should we allow detaching volumes when VMs have snapshots
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2013 18:26:13 GMT
FWIW, after looking into this more with Xen, when the VM is restored in step 4, it simply no
longer has the volume attached, so this appears to really be a VMWare issue. Any VMWare experts
out there know how we can handle this?

-Chris
--
Chris Suich
chris.suich@netapp.com

On Nov 5, 2013, at 1:05 PM, SuichII, Christopher <Chris.Suich@netapp.com> wrote:

> We currently don’t allow volumes to be attached to VMs with snapshots and allowing
volumes to be detached causes quite a bug:

> 1) Attach a data disk to a VM
> 2) Snapshot the VM
> 3) Detach the data disk
> 4) Attempt to restore the VM from the snapshot — FAILS since the data disk is no longer
there, although it is expected to be
> 5) Attempt to re-attach the volume to the VM — FAILS since you cannot attach volumes
to VMs with snapshots
> 6) Attempt to delete the VM snapshot — FAILS since the data disk is no longer there,
although it is expected to be

> I have verified the above steps on VMWare, however Xen does not appear to fail on step
4, presumably because VMWare handles snapshots quite differently than Xen.

> Does anyone else have any thoughts on whether this is a bug or not? IMO, on VMWare, this
set of steps can get users into a state where they can no longer attach new data disks to
their VM, so it appears to be a bug of some kind.