cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Reporting tool for feeding back zone, pod and cluster information
Date Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:52:02 GMT

On 11/26/2013 10:42 PM, Steve Wilson wrote:
> I built something like this for products at Sun Microsystems.  We embedded
> into nearly everything we built:
>
> The Java Runtime Environment
> Open Office
> Solaris
> MySQL
> Even things like Server LOMs
> (the list goes on)
>
> By default, when each of these products installed/first run, it would try
> to bring the user into the program.  It was always possible to opt out,
> but we really worked to get people to not opt out.  We got shockingly HUGE
> piles of data (literally from millions of installed product instances).
> We didn't get any complaints (EVER) in the years we ran this program.  It
> was hugely useful to the product teams.

I wouldn't go for opt-out by default. We might ask the question during
the initial management server installation, but it shouldn't be opt-out
and not informing the user.

> BTW, we didn't even make this data anonymous.  You could obviously choose
> to be anonymous, but if people want to give their names/companies then why
> not let them?  You'd be surprised how many people wouldn't mind.

I wouldn't want a database with all that information in there. I'm also
aiming for usage about CloudStack, not who uses it.

We might make something where you can "claim" your data, but I'd
anonimize it anyway.

Wido