cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From tuna <ng.t...@gmail.com>
Subject [Discuss] AutoScaling.next in CloudStack
Date Mon, 25 Nov 2013 16:57:56 GMT
Hi guys,

At CCCEU13 I talked about the AutoScale without NetScaler feature working with XenServer &
XCP. For anyone don’t know about this feature, take a look into my slide here: http://www.slideshare.net/tuna20073882/autoscale-without-netscalerccceu13.

Chiradeep and I had a short talk after the presentation about how to improve the AutoScale
feature in future. We agreed that:

+ Need to remove Load Balancing feature from AutoScaling. That’s very simple to do.
+ Need to use SNMP for monitoring not only instance-level but also application-level.
+ Also, supporting well KVM hypervisor

So, I blow up this thread for all of you guys to discuss the way we design that feature, such
as:
+ technical side, how to integrate effectively SNMP into CLoudStack. Where do we put SNMP
monitor components into infrastructure? etc
+ user experience, how user configure that feature with SNMP monitoring. I image that user
can figure out they need AutoScale for which of following items: application, protocol (tcp,
udp), port, bandwidth, disk, cpu and memory also, etc
+ How about autoscale action, not just only deploy or destroy VM, we need maybe dynamically
increase-decrease memory/cpu, nic bandwidth, disk,…

Personally, we should think about a completely autoscaling feature.

Cheers,

—Tuna