cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Hugo Trippaers <h...@trippaers.nl>
Subject Re: checkstyle
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2013 15:33:07 GMT
Hey John,

That would be my idea.

Make it mandatory for new (maven) projects coming into the code base and slowly start working
on fixing the existing projects.  The current checkstyle setting is very relaxed, just a few
basic checks. Stuff that we could technically fix with a few well written regular expressions
even.  Over time we can start implementing parts of our code style in the checkstyle config,
but that is long term planning.

Cheers,

Hugo

On 4 nov. 2013, at 16:28, John Kinsella <jlk@stratosec.co> wrote:

> I think it'd be fairly painful to make it mandatory - maybe see if we can set that as
a goal for 6 months out?

> On Nov 4, 2013, at 6:29 AM, Hugo Trippaers <hugo@trippaers.nl<mailto:hugo@trippaers.nl>>
> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> Just added a very basic checkstyle configuration to maven. The configuration file is
in parents/checkstyle and it checks just a few very basic things, like trailing whitespace
and tabs where there should be spaces.

> I’ve enabled it for a single plugin to just the impact on build time and the amount
of generated errors. Quite considerable, but i hope other parts of the code are better ;-)

> You can enable check style for your plugin by adding the following to your build plugins
config in maven:

>     <plugin>
>       <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>       <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
>       <version>${cs.checkstyle.version}</version>
>       <dependencies>
>         <dependency>
>           <groupId>org.apache.cloudstack</groupId>
>           <artifactId>checkstyle</artifactId>
>           <version>0.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>         </dependency>
>       </dependencies>
>       <executions>
>         <execution>
>           <phase>process-sources</phase>
>           <goals>
>             <goal>check</goal>
>           </goals>
>         </execution>
>       </executions>
>       <configuration>
>         <failsOnError>true</failsOnError>
>         <configLocation>tooling/checkstyle.xml</configLocation>
>         <consoleOutput>true</consoleOutput>
>         <includeTestSourceDirectory>true</includeTestSourceDirectory>
>         <sourceDirectory>${project.basedir}</sourceDirectory>
>         <includes>**\/*.java,**\/*.xml,**\/*.ini,**\/*.sh,**\/*.bat</includes>
>         <excludes>**\/target\/,**\/bin\/</excludes>
>       </configuration>
>     </plugin>
>

> For now its voluntary, but i would like your opinion on making this a mandatory part
of the build process. Meaning a compile with not succeed when check style reports errors.