cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Jayapal Reddy Uradi <jayapalreddy.ur...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Service monitoring tool in virtual router
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 15:58:31 GMT
Please find below update FS
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Monitoring+VR+services

Thanks,
Jayapal

On 05-Oct-2013, at 6:54 PM, Santhosh Edukulla <santhosh.edukulla@citrix.com> wrote:

> A shell script can be used. Few thoughts below:
>
> 1. Collect the process id of all daemons you wanted to monitor using "pidof" of command
and then use "kill" command to check if the pid you got is valid. Using kill we can send a
signal 0, then check the status using echo $? . For sending a notification use linux syslog
call ( man 3 syslogd) or "logger" command to send to syslog. If wanted to send email then
you may also have to look for firewall not allowing outbound smtp port communiation. Even
for snmp this holds same( i mean if any blocking through firewall rules ).  Using syslog may
be good as it by default exposes various debug log levels through its api call.

> Now, to keep the monitor script up always up and runninig. Keep the monitor script run
continuosly through cron or at at regular\scheduled intervals. This way even if monitor script
goes down, the next xth interval, it is up again.

> With this there is a catch though, we may got multiple pids for a given daemon provided
if there are multiple daemons spawned by same\multiple applications, if this scenario is not
common then its ok, otherwise we may have to track it differently maintaining state of each
spawned daemon and see if it exists. If multiple applications launch the same daemon, you
may also wanted to say its application which got killed. EX: A launched httpd, and during
its exit logic, it is killing all daemons it launched, then you may wanted to add  A is not
available, rather than just http is not available.

> 2.  Using  netstat command : Check for available, listening and active ports on local
host, provided all the daemons you wanted to monitor are running on "standard" ports or if
we know the listening ports of those deamons to be monitored. Again, this script can be added
through cron\at to be scheduled to run x units, if it gets killed the next x units after the
monitor script is up again.