cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vit...@citrix.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Leaky abstractions [was review requests 13238, 13896, 14320]
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 21:06:01 GMT
We have a couple of people trying to expose the advanced capabilities of the underlying physical
resources to the end-user. In the case of Nicolas FOATA, he is trying to expose some of the
advanced functions of XenServer/XCP, and in the case of Daan, he is trying to expose some
feature of HAProxy.

Users are ideally abstracted from these details and shouldn't have to wonder which offering
to choose [because they are not Xen/HAProxy experts].
After all one of the goals of CS is to hide these messy details and let users focus on their
apps.

Is there a possibility of a generic way of leaking abstractions for sufficiently advanced
users?

https://reviews.apache.org/r/13238/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/14320/
https://reviews.apache.org/r/13896/

BTW, I really prefer that these changes are discussed by putting up an FS on the wiki rather
than submitting patch requests.
If it touches more than a few files, it is probably worth discussing with a [DISCUSS] tag
line.
Also, it requires tests.